ANALYSIS OF THE ENERGY CHARACTERISTICS OF COMPONENTS OF MUNICIPAL SOLID WASTE OF A CITY WITH A POPULATION OF 300 000 PEOPLE
The results of experimental studies of humidity, ash content, calorific value for сomponents of municipal solid waste in Cherkassy city are presented. The results of the research are used to develop an integrated waste management and recycling system in the Cherkassy city.
The waste management strategy has been adopted in Ukraine. It determines the main directions of reforming the system of sanitary cleaning of cities in order to minimize environmental pollution in accordance with EU standards. In the process of preparation of the regional implementation plan for the Strategy in Cherkassy, a study of the morphology, energy and environmental characteristics of the components of solid domestic waste (SDW) was made.
This article presents the results of experimental studies of humidity, calorific value and ash content for 8 components of waste: paper, cardboard, composite materials, textiles, hygiene products, plastic, other combustible materials, wood shavings are presented. Humidity is also determined in organic residues and in fine fractions.
The investigations were carried out at the experimental stand of the Institute of Technical Thermophysics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
Due to the absence in Ukraine of standards for the study of energy characteristics of solid waste, the measurements were carried out in accordance with standards for solid organic fuels, which slightly differ from the EU methods for the study of solid waste. In order to develop regional integrated waste management plans within the framework of the strategy implementation, based on the qualitative analysis of MSW components, it is necessary to develop standards for determining the energy characteristics of SDW in line with European normative documents.
The study of the energy characteristics of solid waste showed a significant heterogeneity in the components of solid waste, which significantly complicated the determination of characteristics and led to a considerable scatter of results and an increase in measurement uncertainty. This happened due to low weight and the need for thorough homogenization of the sample, which was experimentally investigated in accordance with the method of preparation of an analytical sample.
The article analyzes need for adaptation of the European methods of detailed morphology of solid domestic waste in Ukraine, which is necessary for separate waste collection.
The results of the research are used to develop an integrated waste management and recycling system in the city of Cherkassy.
2. Stan sferi povodzhennya z pobutovimi vIdhodamiv UkraYinI za 2017 rIk. Rezhim dostupu: http://www.minregion.gov.ua/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/TPV-4-2017.pdf
3. Rozporyadzhennya KM Ukrayiny vid 8.11.2017 r.№820-r «Pro skhvalennya Natsionalnoi strategii upravlinnia vidkhodamy v Ukraini do 2030 roku [Resolution of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine on November 8, 2017 №820-р «On approval of the National Waste Management Strategy until 2030» (from 08th November 2017)– Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/820-2017-%D1%80 [in Ukrainian].
4. Pavliuk N., Sigal O. Approaches to the problem of treating municipal solid waste in Ukraine and in the world / Industrial heat power engineering. 2015. №3. p. 74-81.
5. Nakaz Minzhitlokomungospu vid 16.02.2010 №39 «Pro zatverdzhennia Metodychnykh rekomendatsii z vyznachennia morfologichnogo skladu tverdykh podutovych vidkhodiv» [Order of the Ministry of Housing and Communal Services dated February 16, 2010 No. 39 «On Approval of Methodological Recommendations for the Determination of the Morphological Composition of Solid Waste»] (2010) – Retrieved from (from 16th February 2010) http://document.ua/pro-zatverdzhennja-metodichnih-rekomendacii-z-viznachennja-m-doc17422. html in Ukrainian].
6. 2000/532/EC: COMMISSION DECISION of 3 May 2000 replacing Decision 94/3/EC establishinga list of wastes pursuant to Article 1(a) of Council Directive 75/442/EEC on waste and Council Decision 94/904/EC establishinga list of hazardous waste pursuant to Article 1(4) of Council Directive 91/689/EEC on hazardous waste - Retrieved from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?ur i=CONSLEG:2000D0532:20020101:EN:PDF [in English].
7. O. Sigal, Q. Boulanger, L.Vorobiov, N. Pavliuk, R. Serhiienko. Research of Energy Characteristics of Municipal Solid Waste in Cherkassy // Journal of Engineering Sciences – 2018. - Volume 5, Issue 1, H 16 -H 22. DOI: 10.21272/jes.2018.5(1).h3
8. GOST 27314-91 Toplivo tverdoie mineralnoie. Metody opredeleniia vlagi [Solid mineral fuel. Determination of moisture] (from 01th January 1993) – Retrieved from http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200024258: Mezhdunarodnyi standart - Interstate Standard [in Russian].
9. GOST 11022-95 (ISO 1171-97) Toplivo tverdoie mineralnoie. Metody opredeleniia zolnosti [Solid mineral fuels. Methods for determination of ash] (from 01th January 1997)– Retrieved from http://docs.cntd.ru/document/gost-: Mezhdunarodnyi standart - Interstate Standard [in Russian].
10. GOST 147-95 (ISO 1928-76). Toplivo tverdoie mineralnoie. Opredeleniie vysshei teploty sgoraniia I vychisleniie nizshei teploty sgoraniia [Solid mineral fuel. Determination of the highest combustion heat and calculation of the lowest combustion heat] (from 01th January 1997) – Retrieved from http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200024029 : Mezhdunarodnyi standart - Interstate Standard [in Russian].
11. DSTU ISO 1928:2006 Palyva tverdi mineralni. Vyznachennia naivyshchoi teploty zgoriannia metodom spaliuvannia v kalorimetrichnii bombi ta obchislennia nainizhchoi teploty zgoriannia (ISO 1928:1995, IDT). [Solid mineral fuels. Determination of gross calorific value by the bomb calorimetric method, and calculation of net calorific value] (from 16th August 2006) – Retrieved from http://document.ua/paliva-tverdi-mineralni_-viznachennja- naivishoyi-teploti-zgo-nor15093.html Na [in Ukrainian].
12. Green Paper on the Management of Bio-waste in the EU – Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/environment/ waste/compost/developments.htm
13. Ryzkov S., Markina L., Lisova A. Municipal solid waste as a raw material for a two-phase process of thermal destruction / A collection of scientific works of Admiral Makarov National University of Shipbuilding . 2011. №3. p. 140-148.
Abstract views: 117 PDF Downloads: 129
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
If the article is accepted for publication in the journal «Industrial Heat Engineering» the author must sign an agreementon transfer of copyright. The agreement is sent to the postal (original) or e-mail address (scanned copy) of the journal editions.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License International CC-BY that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.