FILM COOLING OVER A FLAT PLATE WITH COOLANT SUPPLY IN TO TRIANGULAR INDENTATION
The modern high-performance gas turbine engines operate at the flow temperatures exceeding the melting temperature of materials, which require the blade cooling. However, the traditional scheme of film cooling is characterized by appearance of secondary vortex structures that destroy the coolant film. From the existing alternative schemes of film cooling, which allow protecting the turbine blades from influence of high temperatures, the scheme with triangular dimples has demonstrated good results in the stationary conditions. This cooling scheme was patented and tested in the Institute of Engineering Thermophysics, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. In order to determine the feasibility of such a scheme, it is necessary to consider the effect of the blade rotation influencing the film cooling efficiency. The results are given towards theoretical investigation of the film cooling efficiency of this scheme under rotation conditions. The study was performed using the ANSYS CFX package using SST-turbulence model. The blowing ratio was varied from 0.5 to 2.0. Numerical simulation performed for rotation parameters corresponding to the dominant influence of the Coriolis force – 10, 100 rpm, and centrifugal forces – 3000, 5000 and 7000 rpm. Оn the basis of computer simulation, it has been shown that rotation does not affect weakly the average efficiency of film cooling at Coriolis force, but causes a peak displacement of local adiabatic efficiency, at rotation parameter of 7000 rpm, when there is a distortion of the flow lines.
2. Lu Y., Dhungel A., Ekkad S.V., Bunker R.S. Effect of trench width and depth on film cooling from cylindrical holes embedded in trenches // Journal of Turbomachinery. 2009. V.131. Paper 011003. 13 p.
3. Khalatov A.A., Panchenko N.A., Severin S.D. Numerical simulation of a flat plate film cooling with a coolant supply into different shape indentations // Thermophysics and Aeromechanics, 2017, Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 751–757.
4. Khalatov A.A., Petliak O.O., Panchenko N.A., Severin S.D. Comparative analysis of film cooling efficiency at the coolant supply into a single array of triangular dimples// Journal of Physics: Conf. Series 980 (2018) 012024. 6 p.
5. Patent 113452 Ukraine, Film-cooling technique // A.A. Khalatov, S.D. Severin, M.V. Bezlyudnaya, and I.V. Novokhatskaya; Applicant and Patent Holder – Institute of Engineering Thermophysics, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, No. 201504484; application date 05.07.2015; publication date 01.04.2017, Bulletin No. 1. (in Ukr.)
6. Khavatov Artem, Borysov Igor, Dashevskyy Yuri, Reznik Sergiy [Heat transfer and hydrodynamics in centrifugal fields] Kyiv: NTUU «КPI», Politechnika, 2016. V. 10: Advanced film cooling schemes. 238 p. (in Rus.)
Abstract views: 118 PDF Downloads: 73
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
If the article is accepted for publication in the journal «Industrial Heat Engineering» the author must sign an agreementon transfer of copyright. The agreement is sent to the postal (original) or e-mail address (scanned copy) of the journal editions.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License International CC-BY that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.