NEW DIRECTION IN LIQUID QUENCHING MEDIA DEVELOPMENT
It is shown that in contrast to well known surface active additives (SAA), affecting physical properties of a liquid, the elimination of film boiling during quenching is achieved by creation of the thin polymeric layer on the surface of hardened metal. It is performed by using special polymers of optimal concentration in water. The obtained insulating polymeric layer decreases initial heat flux density below its critical value and by this way eliminates completely the film boiling without affecting clearly the physical properties of a liquid. Based on this fact and on the principle of decreasing distortion, quench crack formation, and increasing strength of material during intensive quenching, it is proposed to use low concentration of special polymers instead of their high concentration in water. All of this results in significant strengthening of metal, saves costly materials, and increases service life of hardened products.
2. Kobasko, N.I., Aronov, M.A., Powell, J.A., Totten, G.E., Intensive Quenching Systems: Engineering and Design, ASTM International, W. Conshohocken, USA, 2010, 234 p. doi: 10.1520/mnl64-eb
3. Rath, J., Luebben, T., Hoffmann, F., Zoch, H. W., Generation of compressive residual stresses by high speed water quenching, International Heat Treatment and Surface Engineering, 4 (4), 2010, 156 - 159.
4. Kobasko, N.I., Aronov, M.A., Ichitani, K., Hasegawa, M., Noguchi, K., High compressive residual stresses in through hardened steel parts as a function of Biot number, Resent Advances in Fluid Mechanics, Heat & Mass Transfer and Biology, WSEAS Press, Harvard, pp., 2012, pp. 36 – 40. ISBN: 978- 1-61804-065-7.
5. Kobasko, N.I., Transient nucleate boiling as a basis for designing austempering and martempering new technologies, SSRG International Journal of Applied Physics (SSRG-IJAP), 2019, Vol. 6, Issue 2, pp. 5 – 13, ISSN: 2350 – 0301.
6. Ferguson, B.L. Applying DANTE Heat Treat Modeling to Intensive Quenching, Presentation at the Intensive Quenching Workshop held on April 24 in Cleveland, Ohio, USA, 2013.
7. Kovalenko. G.V., Kobasko, N.I., Khalatov, A.A., A method of Hardening of Steel Parts, USSR Certificate No. 1355634, 1987.
8. Kobasko, N. I., Moskalenko, A. A., Intensification of quenching by means of use water polymer solutions, Promyshlennaya Teplotekhnika, 18 (6), 1996, pp. 55–60.
9. Moskalenko, A. A., Kobasko, N. I., Tolmacheva, O. V., Totten, G. E., Webster, G. M. Quechants Characterization by Acoustical Noise Analysis of Cooling Properties of Aqueous Poly (Alkylene Glycol) Polymer Quenchants. Proc. of the 2nd Int. Conf. on Quenching and Control of the Distortion, (USA), 1996, pp.117–122.
10. Kobasko, N. I. , Real and Effective Heat Transfer Coefficients (HTCs) Used for Computer Simulation of Transient Nucleate Boiling Processes during Quenching. Materials Performance and Characterization, 2012, 1 (1), doi: 10.1520/ mpc – 2012–0012.
11. Logvynenko, P. N., Karsim, L. O., Riabov, S. V., Moskalenko, A. A., Kobasko, N. I. , Oil quenchant, UA Patent № 104380, 2016.
12. Logvynenko, P. N., Moskalenko, A. A., Kobasko, N. I., Karsim, L. O., Riabov, S. V., Experimental Investigation of the Effect of Polyisobutilene Additives to Mineral Oil on Cooling Characteristics, Materials Performance and Characterization, 2016, 5 (1), doi: 10.1520/ mpc20150072.
13. Kobasko, N.I., Moskalenko, A.A., Logvinenko, P.N., Totten, G.E., Dobryvechir, V.V., New Era in Designing and Governing Cooling Intensity of Liquid Quenchants to Decrease Distortion, International Journal of Current Research, 2018, Vol.10, Issue 8, pp. 72631- 72636.
14. Kobasko. N.I., High Quality Steel vs Surface Polymeric Layer during Quenching, Lambert Academic Publishing, 2019, 102 p. ISBN: 978-613-9-45596-6.
15. Liscic, B., Measurement and Recording of Quenching Intensity in Workshop Conditions Based on Temperature Gradients. Materials Performance and Characterization, 2016, 5 (1), 209–226. doi: 10.1520/ mpc20160007.
Abstract views: 10 PDF Downloads: 8
If the article is accepted for publication in the journal «Industrial Heat Engineering» the author must sign an agreementon transfer of copyright. The agreement is sent to the postal (original) or e-mail address (scanned copy) of the journal editions.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License International CC-BY that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.