POTENTIAL AND PROSPECTS FOR USING AGRIBIOMASS FOR ENERGY IN UKRAINE
Purpose of the work is to identify promising directions for using agribiomass for energy in Ukraine. Current state and prospects for the development of this segment of bioenergy are considered. Analysis of the strategic goals for bioenergy development set by the National Renewable Energy Action Plan until 2020 and Energy Strategy of Ukraine until 2035 shows that only wide involvement of agribiomass in the country's fuel and energy complex can ensure attainment of these goals. Ukraine has considerable potential of agricultural biomass. According to data of 2018, it is 10.1 Mtoe, which is 44% of the total bioenergy potential. The main constituents of agribiomass potential are cereal straw and by-products of grain corn production. Today, of the various types of agribiomass, sunflower husk is most actively used for energy: more than 63% of its potential. Utilization of the potential of other types of agricultural residues is between 0 and 3%. For Ukraine, the most promising direction is priority use of corn stover for energy. Feasibility study of corn stalks harvesting as well as production of briquettes and pellets from them was performed. Main factors affecting the cost-effectiveness of projects on solid biofuel production are cost of raw materials, manufacturing line productivity and sale price of the finished product. Results of the feasibility study show that corn briquettes and pellets can be competitive in the biofuel market of Ukraine, and their production can be a profitable business project.
2. Derzhavnyi klasyfikator vidkhodiv DK 005-96. Zatverdzheno i vvedeno v diiu nakazom Derzhstandartu Ukrainy № 89 vid 29.02.1996 (iz zminamy) [State Waste Classifier DK 005-96. Approved and implemented by the State Committee of Ukraine on Standardization, Metrology and Certification No. 89 of 29.02.1996 (as amended)] (Ukr.)
3. Natsionalna stratehiia upravlinnia vidkhodamy v Ukraini do 2030 roku. Skhvaleno rozporiadzhenniam Kabinetu ministriv Ukrainy № 820-r vid 08.11.2017 [National Waste Management Strategy in Ukraine until 2030. Approved by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine Executive Order No. 820-r of 08.11.2017] (Ukr.)
4. Nomenklatura produktsii silskoho hospodarstva. Zatverdzheno nakazom Derzhavnoi sluzhby statystyky Ukrainy № 300 vid 15.10.2014 [Agricultural product nomenclature. Approved by the Order of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine No. 300 of 15.10.2014] (Ukr.)
5. Demydov O.A., Rudiuk A.T., Zaryshniak A.S., Baliuk S.A. et al. Zastosuvannia solomy i pozhnyvnykh reshtok yak orhanichnykh dobryv dlia polipshennia humusovoho stanu gruntiv [The use of straw and crop residues as organic fertilizers to improve soil humus]. Kharkiv: CE «Miska drukarnia», 2012. 38 p. (Ukr.)
6. Sustainable and optimal use of biomass for energy in the EU beyond 2020. Annexes of the Final Report. Document by the European Commission, 2017
7. Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament on the Interpretative Communication on waste and by-products. Brussels, 21.2.2007, COM(2007) 59 final)
8. Directive 2006/12/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 5 April 2006 on waste
9. Zakon Ukrainy «Pro vidkhody» № 187/98-VR vid 05.03.1998 (iz zminamy) [Law of Ukraine “On Waste” No. 187/98-BP of 05.03.1998 (as amended)] (Ukr.)
10. Share of renewable energy in the EU up to 17.5% in 2017. Eurostat news release 27/2019, 12.02.2019
11. A.P.C. Faaij. Securing sustainable resource availability of biomass for energy applications in Europe; review of recent literature, 2018 https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/48c6/62527d3a7a7ea491d531472dc63a1ae76efb.pdf
12. Biomass supply. Statistical Report by Bioenergy Europe, 2019 https://bioenergyeurope.org/statistical-report-2019/
13. Zheliezna T.A., Drahniev S.V., Bashtovyi A.I. Mozhlyvosti zahotivli ahrobiomasy ta vyrobnytstva biopalyv z nei komunalnymy pidpryiemstvamy v Ukraini [Opportunities for harvesting agrobiomass and production of biofuels by municipal enterprises in Ukraine], [Thermophysics and Thermal Power Engineering], Vol. 41, No. 2 (2019). – P. 88-96. (Ukr.) https://doi.org/10.31472/ttpe.2.2019.12
14. Geletukha G.G., Zheliezna T.A., Drahniev S.V., Bashtovyi A.I. Analiz barieriv dlia vyrobnytstva enerhii z ahrobiomasy v Ukraini. Chastyna 1 [Analysis of barriers to the production of energy from agribiomass in Ukraine. Part 1], [Thermophysics and Thermal Power Engineering], Vol. 41, No. 3 (2019), P. 77-84. (Ukr.) https:doi.org/10.31472/ttpe.3.2019.11
15. Geletukha G.G., Zheliezna T.A., Drahniev S.V., Bashtovyi A.I. Analiz barieriv dlia vyrobnytstva enerhii z ahrobiomasy v Ukraini. Chastyna 2 [Analysis of barriers to the production of energy from agribiomass in Ukraine. Part 2], [Thermophysics and Thermal Power Engineering], Vol. 41, No. 4 (2019). (Ukr.)
Abstract views: 56 PDF Downloads: 38
If the article is accepted for publication in the journal «Industrial Heat Engineering» the author must sign an agreementon transfer of copyright. The agreement is sent to the postal (original) or e-mail address (scanned copy) of the journal editions.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License International CC-BY that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.